List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: What happens after 2.1 ?
From:       Dawit Alemayehu <adawit () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-02-21 23:59:42

On Wednesday 21 February 2001 14:33, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> On Wednesday 21 February 2001 07:15, Bernhard Rosenkraenzer wrote:
> > On Wed, 21 Feb 2001, David Faure wrote:
> > > Ok, so 2.1 is almost done, now is the time to wonder about what we do
> > > after 2.1 :-)
> > >
> > > It seems to be already agreed that there will be a 2.1.1, with more
> > > documentation, translations and critical bugfixes.
> > >
> > > But the question is:
> > > Do most developers have new apps or features to commit, that would
> > > involve much new documentation and translations, OR do most developers
> > > would rather keep bugfixing what's in 2.1 and get it released in 2.1.1
> > > ?
> >
> > The other question is, what will be the next release after 2.1.1? Will we
> > have a 2.2 (much the same thing as 2.1 is to 2.0 - fixes and extra
> > features, same API, ...), or go for 3.0 right away (on a side note, any
> > ideas when Qt 3.0 will be released, since we'll probably want to use
> > that for KDE 3.0?)?
>
> 2.2 I don't see a strong need for either Qt 3.0 or KDE 3.0. Especially with
> the rich text widget backported to Qt 2.2 I think we should continue the
> KDE 2.x series for a while.
>
> We want to have a smooth/fast migration from 2.x to 3.0. and then 3.0
> should have stronger BC as 2.x. For that to work there must be a stable
> release of Qt 3.x and a stable gcc 3.0 compiler. We don't want to end up in
> a situation where we need to delay our release because we are waiting for
> either of those two to become stable. Since the KDE 2.x platform is good
> enough to last a while I think we can afford to wait for those to be
> released and stabilized a bit.

I second this as well.  I think there is a lot of things that can be done to make
KDE 2.x series even more attractive without resorting to allowing major changes.
Anyways, I think we should branch and only commit/fix critical problems for 2.1.1
much like 2.0.1 and all the other new features and completion of features can wait
for the next 2.x release...

Regards,
Dawit A.