List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: What happens after 2.1 ?
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-02-21 19:33:43

On Wednesday 21 February 2001 07:15, Bernhard Rosenkraenzer wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Feb 2001, David Faure wrote:
> > Ok, so 2.1 is almost done, now is the time to wonder about what we do
> > after 2.1 :-)
> >
> > It seems to be already agreed that there will be a 2.1.1, with more
> > documentation, translations and critical bugfixes.
> >
> > But the question is:
> > Do most developers have new apps or features to commit, that would
> > involve much new documentation and translations, OR do most developers
> > would rather keep bugfixing what's in 2.1 and get it released in 2.1.1 ?
>
> The other question is, what will be the next release after 2.1.1? Will we
> have a 2.2 (much the same thing as 2.1 is to 2.0 - fixes and extra
> features, same API, ...), or go for 3.0 right away (on a side note, any
> ideas when Qt 3.0 will be released, since we'll probably want to use
> that for KDE 3.0?)?

2.2 I don't see a strong need for either Qt 3.0 or KDE 3.0. Especially with
the rich text widget backported to Qt 2.2 I think we should continue the KDE
2.x series for a while.

We want to have a smooth/fast migration from 2.x to 3.0. and then 3.0 should
have stronger BC as 2.x. For that to work there must be a stable release of
Qt 3.x and a stable gcc 3.0 compiler. We don't want to end up in a situation
where we need to delay our release because we are waiting for either of those
two to become stable. Since the KDE 2.x platform is good enough to last a
while I think we can afford to wait for those to be released and stabilized a
bit.

> I'd rather avoid having 3 branches (2_1_1, 2_2, 3_0) open at the same time
> (syncing fixes between all of them would be painful).
>
> IMO:
> if(next_bigger_release==2.2)
> 	CVS->branch();

Yes, I agree with that. I think 2.1 shows that the "release early and often"
strategy that we are following is working well. For 2.2 I would use the same
schedule as we did for 2.1.

So e.g. 2.1.1 in one month from now. 2.2beta1 slightly after that (April 1?).

Cheers,
Waldo
--
bastian@kde.org | SuSE Labs KDE Developer | bastian@suse.com