List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: PATCH: smart placement(kdebase/kwin/workspace.cpp)
From:       Cristian Tibirna <tibirna () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-02-14 13:05:32

On Wednesday 14 February 2001 03:14, Matthias Ettrich wrote:
> Subject: smart placement patch (kdebase/kwin/workspace.cpp)
> Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 02:04:59 -0700
> From: Michael Driscoll <fenris@ulf.edgemail.com>
> To: ettrich@kde.org
>

> Hello Matthias!
>
> I use 'smart' window placement and have always been a little annoyed at
> the way it leaves a 1-pixel gap along the right and bottom edges of the
> screen when placing windows.  I stared at smartPlacement() for a long
> time today and I think I understand it now :)
>
> Here is a patch that fixes this off-by-one error, I have tested it and
> it seems to work correctly.
>
> The idea is that if you have a left coord of 'l' and a width of 'w'
> the right coord is not 'l + w' but is actually 'l + (w - 1)'.

Err... Why? coordinates are counted from 0.

And, BTW, I looked for xmag for an hour at different kwin styles today and I
can't discover that pixel you say about. Plus, do this:

a) on an empty desktop, with smart placement enabled, open a konsole
b) in the konsole, launch the commands `xwininfo`
c) click with the cross cursor (given by xwininfo) on the konsole window
d) examine the coords reported. There is no off by one there.

Yet, I acknowledge that there is a row of black pixels on each side of the
window frame, but that is by design (ask the kwin styles creators)

BTW. What version of KDE (kwin) and what window style are you using? Are you
by any chance, using a "pixmap" theme with your kwin?

Sorry, the patch isn't necessary.

--
Cristian Tibirna .. tibirna@sympatico.ca
PhD Student .. ctibirna@giref.ulaval.ca .. www.giref.ulaval.ca/~ctibirna