List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: QXEmbed
From:       Matthias Ettrich <ettrich () trolltech ! com>
Date:       2001-02-14 8:13:46

On Tuesday 13 February 2001 11:35, Bernd Gehrmann wrote:
> I've got the problem that a (non-qt) application
> embedded via QXEmbed doesn't get focus when I
> click with the mouse on it. Is this a problem
> with QXEmbed or am I doing something wrong?
>
> Bernd.

It is not possible to implement that properly, sorry. Unless you want
athena-like focus follows mouse, this simply doesn't work UNLESS the embedded
component informs the container that it wants focus now. The XEMBED protocol
does this, we "just" need to get more toolkits to support it. Owen Taylor for
example works on a GTK implementation.

A hack would be to install a passive grab over the embedded widget to detect
mouse click events, but that results in even more trouble since toolkits like
Motif (and thus Java) have problems handling replayed events.

What windows are you trying to embed? Why not simply putting focus on those
explicitely (QXEmbed::setFocus() )

I can add a lot of magic, but I cannot make X better than it is. You really
don't want to know how simple those things are with MS-Windows....

Matthias