List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: PATCH: gcc 3 hacks
From:       Martijn Klingens <mklingens () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-02-18 13:53:30

On Sunday 18 February 2001 14:14, Dirk Mueller wrote:
> Moin Waldo!
>
> > I rather abort compilation on libstdstc++-v3 than compile with
> > exceptions. We hardly use anything from libstdc++ and I really don't see
> > why KDE should suffer if they aren't able to fix their headers.
>
> I'm falling on the nerves of the libstdc++ maintainers already for a few
> weeks. This is only the Last resort, I'm trying to get that thing fixed
> before release.

Maybe an idea: if we detect a broken libstc++, issue a big fat warning
message at the end of configure that any performance problems are gcc's fault
and not ours?
Something like

WARNING: Your C++ library seems to be unable to run without exception
                handling. Exception handling is used during the development
                of an application, but decreases performance in production
                environments.
                You may encounter performance problems when running KDE in
                this configuration. If there are updates available for your
                compiler, please apply them and see if those solve the
                problem. If there are no updates, please send any
                performance problems to the compiler's maintainers.