List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: PATCH: KBugReport
From:       Ralf Nolden <nolden () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-02-16 9:00:47

David Faure wrote:
> =

> On Thursday 15 February 2001 22:17, Martijn Klingens wrote:
> > After some weeks of work on the bug report web site the first new ver=
sion is
> > done. I just asked Daniel to update the server so that the main page =
points
> > to the new wizard.
> >
> > I have changed the URL of the wizard to http://bugs.kde.org/wizard/in=
dex.php
> > instead of the current frontend directory. I think that is a nicer UR=
L for
> > users to see in the browser and our web server doesn't care. However,=
 the KDE
> > bug report dialog needs to be changed to support this and before 2.1.=

> > Otherwise we will have to support the old frontend dir for many month=
s to
> > come because apps will point to it.
> >
> > Changing the source code I also noticed two of my earlier changes tha=
t I
> > forgot to commit/review. Can I merge them in now despite the freeze? =
> > changed the following:
> >
> > 1. (CRITICAL IMHO) The distribution string is currently specified in =
the
> > compiler version to the website. This is not logical and will result =
in bug
> > reports that are hard to read. I just moved that part to the KDE vers=
ion
> > instead.
> =

> Yes, it has always been this way but for no particular reason.
> Not critical, but if the website relies on that, better have it in :)
> =

> > 2. (GUI related, non-essential) Once the user clicks the hyperlink th=
e bug
> > report dialog closes to give the user a visible response. Currently n=
othing
> > seems to happen (not even a 'loading' icon on the taskbar!). Besides,=
 the
> > window is quite pointless once the user has selected the hyperlink, s=
> > keeping it open is IMO useless anyway.
> =

> Good point.
> =

> > Comments on those three changes?

One thing from the developer=B4s point of view: Recently coolo told me
that the kdevelop templates were wrong because they didn=B4t contain the
mail address of the author as the receiver for the bugreports in case
it=B4s not a KDE app that=B4s in the KDE distribution and by that not in =
the
kde bug system. This is fixed, however as far as I see it the link on
the bugreport page makes only sense if either it would display the
homepage of the application (so the developer needs to set that in
KAboutData) or just being left out if the bugreport mail address is
another one than the default in KAboutData.

Please consider thinking about that as the users will send bugreport to
authors even if the bug has been reported to the author, because he
won=B4t find the app on the default bugreport page of KDE. Or is there
something I don=B4t know about ?

Ralf
-- =

Finally, even I have to admit that being myself was the best thing
that ever could have happened to me. - Le Grand Charmeur

Ralf Nolden

The KDevelop Project
http://www.kdevelop.org

nolden@kde.org