List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    QXEmbed [was Re: XPart questions]
From:       Matthias Ettrich <ettrich () trolltech ! com>
Date:       2001-02-15 17:08:53

I ran a couple of tests again with QXEmbed and Qt on both sides and could
_not_ reproduce any of the mentioned focus problems.

If somebody believes he found such a bug, please send me a small,
self-contained example that reproduces it. Right now I'm simply lost.
Whenever I test it, it works like a charm.

Note: embedding legacy stuff does _not_ count. As I tried to explain several
times on this list, there are issues with X Focus that are not solvable
without a protocol like XEmbed. _Unless_ you simply give focus to your
embedded window with XSetInputFocus() (ParentRelative) when you activate the
component. But then you pay a tradeoff: accelerators, shortcuts and tabbing
won't work anymore in the embedding application and after
activating/deactivating another window, you will have the same problems again.

QXEmbed works around most problems, it is clever with focus and it forwards
all keyevents to the embedded window when appropriate. However, if your
embedded window doesn't accept those sent events, there's nothing we can do.
Most apps work fine though, including Mozilla.

Matthias
      ... hating focus