List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Enable Java by default ?
From:       Bo Thorsen <bo () sonofthor ! dk>
Date:       2001-02-08 6:48:19

On Wed, 7 Feb 2001, Wynn Wilkes wrote:
> On Wednesday 07 February 2001 04:09 pm, David Faure wrote:
> > Right - the reason being, that they were enabled in 2.0, so if they get
> > disabled by the upgrade to 2.1, people will definitely consider this as a
> > bug. I did, until I noticed that they got disabled.
> >
> > What's more, this checkbox for nsplugins should be in the nsplugins module.
> > Has nobody moved it yet ? :)
> >
> > I personnally would rather see them all enabled, than disabled. The number
> > of sites out there that can only be properly seen with
> > plugins+java+javascript enabled is so big... that anyone has to enable them
> > anyway, for a normal browsing experience. Disabling things by default is
> > only hiding our head in the sand IMHO.
> I agree with you, and if anyone is tallying votes, I vote to enable them all
> be default, especially since if it's off by default, people won't see the
> little work I've done:)

You have all seen this as a black and white thing: Either konqy ships with
it enabled by default or not. There is a third option which would be more
realistic outside of a freeze: Ask the user everytime, just like with
cookies. It is very important to mention the security tradeoff in this,
should the user accept it.

And while I'm on the subject: Two things are IMHO missing in the cookie
popup: A deny all from this site and a help button. Deny all would be
great to have as a quick way to ban cookies. The help button is needed
because not everyone knows what a cookie is and even if they do, it's hard
to answer if you should accept it or not. But again I have to remind
myself that there's a freeze.

Bo.

--

     Bo Thorsen                 |   Lahnsgade 31, st.
     Free software developer    |   5000 Odense C