List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    QIconView speed question
From:       mosfet <mosfet () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2001-02-08 3:02:46

I've redone the thumbnail manager for Pixie and it's quite fast :) Besides
noticed QIconView is much faster inserting items when hidden than when
visible. For 1500 items, inserting takes ~40 secs while shown and ~6 secs
while hidden. This includes when disabling Pixie's "view the last item
inserted" behavior.

It appears QIconView repaints or does layout calculation whenever inserting
items even if they are not visible. Is there an easy way to fix this? I don't
mind requiring users to wait until all items are inserted if it's going to be
so much faster when entering a directory...