List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: security vs. usability
From:       Hans Meine <hans_meine () gmx ! net>
Date:       2001-02-06 17:33:23

Bernhard Rosenkraenzer <bero@redhat.de> writes:

> > I think it is more wise to just abort() and hit the programmer in the face
> > that he should think of a better way on how to solve your problem instead
> > of allowing such extremely dangerous features.
>
> This works for programmers, but what about the admin who just wants to
> give his (trusted) users access to the CD writer?
- either chmod/chown the devices to a "cdburning" group in which you can
  put some users
- or if the upper doesn't work:
  * why have the mentioned "20 million loc" (KDE+X) run as root instead of just
    cdrecord? I hear that does not work either? Then: WHY?
    If there's another euid()!=uid() test then there must be a reason, no?
    It should be fixed there, IMHO - no, really this is some stuff for service
    providing daemons like the mentioned Caldera ones.

OK: I understand since all the latter nifty stuff does not exist yet, the current
  procedure is a hassle, but kdelibs is not the reason IMHO. ;-)

--
Ciao,  /  /
      /--/