List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Why isn't there a KDE2 Beta 2 announcement?
From:       Simon Hausmann <sh () caldera ! de>
Date:       2001-01-31 18:44:40

On Wed, Jan 31, 2001 at 07:32:04PM +0100, Martijn Klingens wrote:
> On Wednesday 31 January 2001 19:15, Simon Hausmann wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 31, 2001 at 07:38:56PM +0100, Torsten Rahn wrote:
> >
> > (...)
> >
> > > Right now we are not in a hurry and there's no reason get this thing out
> > > in a rush. I have already talked to a lot of developers and most of them
> > > agree that we should delay KDE 2.1 by one or two weeks.
> >
> > IMHO one or two full weeks are too much and I think HEAD is in a quite good
> > shape right now.
>
> I agree with Simon that the current code base is quite stable and can be used
> for the release version, but Torsten's argument regarding docs/icons makes
> sense. We can use the extra time for fixing crashes that may still appear,
> but IMHO it's important to give KDE a more professional look and if one more
> week is enough to achieve that goal I'd suggest to wait one more week indeed.
>
> If, however, one more week doesn't make too much difference for the docs and
> the icons, I'd put out 2.1 on the 12th and don't delay the release.

I just talked with Torsten on IRC and he quite convinced me that this html-eye-
candy thing can indeed bring up a real wow!-effect (the mails on core-devel
a day after tackat comitted the stuff were quite self-explaining) . I support
the idea of spreading this html-candy thing to more places (where it makes
sense) , so I agree with Torsten, eMatthias and Martijn for a 5 day delay.
(provided that it doesn't affect the codebase in a bad manner and that it
gives the translators and documentators a bit more time to polish up things)

Having this candy in a consistent manner in a few different places at one
time (release) might give a much better effect than adding it step by step
in 2.1.1, 2.1.2, etc, . IMHO.

Bye,
 Simon