List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Why isn't there a KDE2 Beta 2 announcement?
From:       Torsten Rahn <tackat () suse ! de>
Date:       2001-01-31 17:38:50

> Getting something as stable as possible to our users soon is a nice goal
> too ;-)

Yes and this should be our main-concern. Right now konqueror still crashes
way too often (I couldn't guarantee that konqueror wouldn't crash while using
it for an hour. -- Please guys: I want something very stable to show to the
people when I will be at Cebit.)
In addition we are currently working on giving KDE a much more corporate
look. As you might have seen in khelpcenter and konqueror adding a bit html
and gfx in a nice layout works wonders. Currently we are working on
delivering the same for *ALL* help-pages and kmail ( later even for
kcontrol). This will give a *VERY* professional look to KDE --but only if we
can establish this all over the desktop now. Also noatun still needs a better
skin and I need to create locolor versions for the icons (and certain icons
in general). All this needs some additional time though.
Also there will have been about 8000 commits since the last beta and I guess
(judging from previous experiences) that the number of commits might even
increase more than expected while getting closer to the 12th. This will of
course introduce a lot of new bugs.

Right now we are not in a hurry and there's no reason get this thing out in a
rush. I have already talked to a lot of developers and most of them agree
that we should delay KDE 2.1 by one or two weeks.

To make sure that KDE 2.1 will become very polished and stable I propose that
we tag HEAD as a "Release Candidate" on Feb 12th. After that date only
critical commits (and icons/translations) should be allowed for five days.
Then on Feb 17th we should tag HEAD as KDE 2.1final.

Greetings,
Tackat