List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    xpart state and ReadWrite xpart
From:       Philippe Fremy <fremy () yalbi ! com>
Date:       2001-01-29 21:22:16

	Hi,

I'm working on making a KPart from kvim. Currently, kvim
(http://aquila.rezel.enst.fr/vim) is only a port of the gtk stuff of gvim
to Qt, so basically an application.

But it works in an horrible way since it uses its own event loop and only
gives some times to the gui to process its events when waiting for
characters (using kapp->processEvents).

Discussing with the author confirm that this won't change. There is no way
to get rid of the vim event-loop, and in fact, there is no such thing as a
vim event loop. Vim processes every command in a different place depending
on what the command is. So turning this into a
call_to_process_keyboard_entry() api is not possible at all.

So, it looks like it is not possible to make a kpart from this. After my
first disappointment, I suddenly remember to have read about out-of-process
embedding, this was ... (ta da dam) .. Xpart!!!

Reading the white-paper again
(http://trolls.troll.no/~lars/xparts/doc/xparts.html), this seem to be the
exact solution to my problem. I had to dig deeply into cvs to finally find
that it was hidden down in kdebindings.

I had a first look that brings a lot of questions:
- how usable is it ? stability, gtk or mozilla dependency ?

- is there more documentation available ? The white-paper is quite short
and the source code doesn't look very documented (not documented at all in
fact). I guess I'll have to go with that.

- my first goal is to make a ReadOnly component from kvim, but my second
goal is to make a ReadWrite component, and ultimately a TextEditor
component. How do you think this will integreate with XPart ? For the
moment, there is only read only xpart, right ?

	regards,

	Philippe