List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: problem with german umlauten
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-01-29 12:35:30

aleXXX wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I don't knwo much about that unicode stuff.
> My problem is: I have to read text with umlauts from a fifo into a
> char*-buffer. Then I have to convert them into a QString, and later on I have
> to convert the QString again to a char*-buffer (or QCString).
>
> How do I do it correctly ?
> fromUtf8(), from Local8Bit(), whatever ?
well, it depends on the encoding not on the fact if it contains
umlauts. local8bit may work best, utf8 only if the text is in utf8.
fromlatin1 if the encoding is defined to be latin1, but I doubt the
later if it's about communication. The question you have to ask yourself
is if you could read chinese as well - if encoded 8bit.

Greetings, Stephan

--
It's my true belief that people having wishes for the bug report tool
and report it to the author haven't got the idea behind open source.