List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: So we really want *pixel* sizes (was Font size setting inconsistency in kcontrol)
From:       glaurent () telegraph-road ! org
Date:       2001-01-29 12:25:00

> The font size looks about right on my display (I'm using 100dpi), but
> the layout is broken.
>
> This is a very special case. It seems pixie really should ask for a
> pixelsize
> (QFont::setPixelSize() rather QFont::setPointSize() ) for the splash
> screen.

And don't you think that the same problem is bound to happen for any
webpage with icons, like slashdot for instance ? How do you expect
the layout to remain correct from 75 to 100 or 120 DPI if the font
physical size remains constant while all the icons shrink ?

And I believe that any user setting font sizes for the file manager or
web browser expects the "medium" settting to look reasonably good,
regardless of its DPI (how many end user knows about this parameter
anyway ?). With hard-coded point sizes this is just impossible.

From what Dirk told me I understand that a patch was recently
committed to correct precisely this, but it doesn't seem to have found its
way in 2.1beta2.