List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: So we really want *pixel* sizes (was Font size setting inconsistency in kcontrol)
From:       Guillaume Laurent <glaurent () telegraph-road ! org>(by way of Guillaume Laurent <gla
Date:       2001-01-28 22:13:57

(I'm posting this a second time because the 1st message is held due to being
too large, because of the attachment - I've put the screenshot on my homepage
instead, which I should have done in the first place. I hope the first
message will get deleted as I requested to kde-core-devel-admin).

On Sunday 28 January 2001 16:46, Lars Knoll wrote:
> How often do yuo change your resolution?

That's not really the problem. The resolution changes between the display of
the developer who chooses the hard-coded point sizes and mine. So his choices
simply look bad on my screen.

> How hard is it to go into the settings dialog and change the font sizes?

It's very easy, except for two things :

- I have to do it for KDE, while every non-KDE application (even legacy
Athena ones) look just fine without me having to do anything.

- in the case of konqueror, I can only choose between a fixed set of sizes
(small, medium, large...) and at 120 DPI even "small" is too big.

> And, if you really want the
> effect, that fonts get smaller when you change to a higher resolution, just
> tell your XServer to always start at 75 dpi. I don't really think this is a
> problem.

From what I've tried that currently doesn't work with xinerama, and it seems
that for really high resolutions that doesn't really work either.

And you don't answer this mystery : how come do you want to keep fonts at the
same physical size while most other graphic entity on your screen shrinks when
your resolution increases ?

Here's a grab of pixie's startup window as it is on my display. Tell me if
this looks correct to you.

http://www.telegraph-road.org/pics/pixie.png

--
					Guillaume.