List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Font size setting inconsistency in kcontrol with DPI > 75 (more info)
From:       Lars Knoll <lars () trolltech ! com>
Date:       2001-01-27 20:12:23

On Saturday 27 January 2001 20:41, Martijn Klingens wrote:
> On Saturday 27 January 2001 20:48, Lars Knoll wrote:
> > Point sizes. Higher resolution displays will come up more often in the
> > future, and we don't want to have huge fonts on these. The above sounds
> > like a bug, but all the other complaints I got up to now where from
> > people that had (completely) wrong dpi settings for their display. That's
> > a case, that should perhaps be added to the FAQ. Something like "how do I
> > get my XServer to run at the right DPI settings for my mointor and
> > resolution".
>
> When I run at 1600x1200 I have the same problems on my machine as well. I
> knew it had something to do with Qt/KDE and dpi sizes, but I don't know
> where to fix it. I don't care that much since I 'm back to 1280x1024 anyway
> which works fine.
>
> But the problem _ONLY_ occurs with Qt/KDE apps, not with Gtk Apps like
> Gimp, Mozilla or StarOffice, nor with plain X apps. To make it even more

This is exactly what I said. Gtk and mozilla are using pixel sizes as far as
I know. This means their fonts will appear smaller when changing the
resolution from 1280x1024 to 1600x1200. KDE/Qt use point sizes, and this
means that a 10pt font will always have the same _physical_ size on the
screen (if you take a ruler, it will still have the same size in mm).

> confusing: when I start X with my monitor turned _OFF_ the fonts are much
> smaller, the size they should be, and they remain that size until X is
> restarted with the monitor on. It's clearly some Qt or KDE internal setting
> that is loaded during startup, but I don't know where

It is different when you turn your monitor off, because X11 can then not
autodetermine the correct dpi value for your display. It will then assume
your display has 75dpi. So to say it once again, this is X11, and it's the
correct way. There is a difference petween point (which is defined to be
1/72tho of an inch) and pixel. So it's not a Qt/KDE issue, but an X11 issue.

Someone should really add this to the FAQ...

Regards,
Lars