List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Font size setting inconsistency in kcontrol with DPI > 75 (more info)
From:       Martijn Klingens <mklingens () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-01-27 19:41:05

On Saturday 27 January 2001 20:48, Lars Knoll wrote:

> Point sizes. Higher resolution displays will come up more often in the
> future, and we don't want to have huge fonts on these. The above sounds
> like a bug, but all the other complaints I got up to now where from people
> that had (completely) wrong dpi settings for their display. That's a case,
> that should perhaps be added to the FAQ. Something like "how do I get my
> XServer to run at the right DPI settings for my mointor and resolution".

When I run at 1600x1200 I have the same problems on my machine as well. I
knew it had something to do with Qt/KDE and dpi sizes, but I don't know where
to fix it. I don't care that much since I 'm back to 1280x1024 anyway which
works fine.

But the problem _ONLY_ occurs with Qt/KDE apps, not with Gtk Apps like Gimp,
Mozilla or StarOffice, nor with plain X apps. To make it even more confusing:
when I start X with my monitor turned _OFF_ the fonts are much smaller, the
size they should be, and they remain that size until X is restarted with the
monitor on. It's clearly some Qt or KDE internal setting that is loaded
during startup, but I don't know where

I hope someone finds this info useful,

Martijn