List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Font size setting inconsistency in kcontrol with DPI > 75 (more info)
From:       Guillaume Laurent <glaurent () telegraph-road ! org>
Date:       2001-01-27 16:59:00

Hi all,

There seem to be a generalized problem with the way kcontrol modules handle
font sizes. The pb is visible for DPIs higher than 75 only. The main 'font'
configurator

I've had a short discussion about this pb with Dirk Mueller, but since I'm
away from my machine except during week-ends, I can't investigate this as
quickly as I'd like. Anyway, one symptom of the problem can be reproduced
like this (using 2.1beta2, Qt 2.2.3) :

I have the following display :
screen #0:
  dimensions:    1808x1356 pixels (383x280 millimeters)
  resolution:    120x120 dots per inch
(used to have xinerama, but I turned it off)

- in kcontrol, look'n feel->fonts, click on "use defaults". For "File
Manager" fonts I get helvetica 7, which looks fine.

- go to "File Browsing", "Appearance" tab, select "small" font, apply.

 way too big.

I found the reason for this : kcontrol/fonts/fonts.cpp, in the KFont ctor,
the font sizes are set with setPixelSize(), while every other kcontrol module
use setPointSize().

But more generally, the problem is that the current hardcoded *point* sizes
don't look very good for DPIs higher than 75 : fonts are just too big. Even
the "small" setting for konqueror font in filebrowsing mode is quite large on
my screen.

Dirk mentionned a patch regarding DPI settings, but I can't find anything
about it in kcontrol, and that's definitely where the problem is.

--
					Guillaume.
					http://www.telegraph-road.org