List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: startkde
From:       rik () kde ! org
Date:       2001-01-26 22:22:51

#if Waldo Bastian
> A better solution might be to start kdesktop later because it is a pain to
> start kdesktop while half of the environment isn't set up. And we now have
> this cute splash screen to entertain the user while he/she is waiting for
> kdesktop to show up.
>
> I'll look into this.

I think kdesktop sets the background up now - i.e. it writes to the
root window. I notice this when I kill it :}

So if the background can be painted separately from the startup of
kdesktop, startup will still look nice. The user will just see their
icons later, which doesn't seem like such a bad thing.

Rik