List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: documenter's windows shares question
From:       Wynn Wilkes <wynnw () calderasystems ! com>
Date:       2001-01-25 21:47:49

On Thursday 25 January 2001 02:26 pm, Jost Schenck wrote:
> [please cc me, I'm not subscribed to core-devel]
>
> Hi,
> I just reviewed the old documentation for the Windows Shares control
> module, and it was obviously written for a completely different module. I
> know quite something has changed regarding SMB, so:
> - should I just ditch old docs and make a chapter on those three options in
>   the current module?
> - did the old functionality move somewhere else?
> - or is all this changing so it doesn't make sense to document it now?
> - what should I do? :)
The 2.1 release has a new smb ioslave which is very different from the 2.0
one- for the 2.1 release it would probably make sense to do a)ditch the old
stuff and document the new.

But....
Work is going on by the Samba team- one guy in particular who is being
sponsored by Caldera, to create a Samba library that will enable us to write
a new ioslave that works much better for the 2.2 release.  That ioslave is
pretty much done- just waiting for the library to finish development to
polish it up.  Then the ioslave will be different again- but the kcontrol
module shouldn't be too different.  So I don't know what you want to
do....but that's the status of the situation.

Wynn
--
Wynn Wilkes
Caldera Systems, Inc.