List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: startkde
From:       Matthias Ettrich <ettrich () trolltech ! com>
Date:       2001-01-25 11:12:36

On Thursday 25 January 2001 11:47, Bernhard Rosenkraenzer wrote:
> Yesterday, someone applied the following patch to startkde:
>
> -# Make GTK use the theme we want it to
> -# (Yes, the order of GTK_RC_FILES is odd, the last file listed
> -# is actually the preferred one).
> -if kreadconfig --group X11 --key useResourceManager --type bool; then
> -
> GTK_RC_FILES="$GTK_RC_FILES:/etc/gtk/gtkrc:$HOME/.gtkrc:$HOME/.gtkrc-kde"
> -       export GTK_RC_FILES
> -fi
> -
> -# Turn off anti-aliasing if the user requested it
> -if ! kreadconfig --key AntiAliasing --default on --type bool; then
> -       QT_XFT=0
> -       export QT_XFT
> -fi
>

> This breaks the "Enable/Disable antialiasing" and "Apply styles to non-KDE
> apps" functions in kcontrol.
> Any reasons why this was done, aside from speeding up startup a bit at the
> cost of functionality?

Some gtk users have a philosophical problem with us trying to make gtk adjust
to KDE settings.

I vote for putting the functionality back. It makes the desktop feel much
more integrated.

I'm aware of the fact that there might be some encoding/font issues with
certain Gtk version. But there must be a technical solution other than
removing the functionality. Isn't there anybody who knows at least something
about .gtkrc and how fonts can be defined in a way compatible through most of
the versions out there?

Matthias