List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: kcheckpass always exits 1 (wrong pw) with PAM
From:       Christian Esken <c.esken () cityweb ! de>
Date:       2001-01-18 23:16:04

On Tuesday 16 January 2001 20:32, Bernhard Rosenkraenzer wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Jan 2001, Malte Starostik wrote:
> > IMHO either README.pam should state clearly that kscreensaver.pamd _must_
> > be installed to be able to unlock the screen saver, or it should be
> > automatically installed when PAM support is enabled. I can imagine quite
> > a few bug reports should a packager not be aware of this...

Actually I am not too proficient in PAM. But I think automatic installing
the file could get difficult, because the target location might be highly
Distribution- / OS-dependent.
I did not dare to touch README.pam as well. Malte, can you add some
explanations to it?

> It'll cause even more trouble if someone just installs the
> kscreensaver.pam from CVS with a different version of PAM...
>
> For RH7 and similar systems, this:
>
> #%PAM-1.0
> auth       required	/lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
>

> should do a much better job.

Bero, I do not know how to set up PAM for SuSE, RH, TurboLinux, BSD,
Solaris, ...
I cannot even judge if the original or your version is better for my own
installation. Which makes the task very easy for me - I will not touch
any file! ;-)

I only see two solutions:

1. Remove the "#define ACCEPT_ENV" from the sources and implement
   a configure option for this #define.
2. Change "#define ACCEPT_ENV" to "#undef ACCEPT_ENV" and
   document in "README.pam" that you need to change it back when
   you use AFS.

If anybody here feels that he can do this or has another good solution,
please commit it.

Christian

--
Is Unix ready for the desktop? See http://www.kde.org

The                              Christian Esken
|/  Desktop                      KDE Developer
|\  Environment                  esken@kde.org

KDE - The net transparent free Unix Desktop for everyone