List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KDialog & kcmshell
From:       "Thomas Diehl" <thd () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-01-17 8:35:20

On Tue, 16 Jan 2001 10:57:47 -0700, Kurt Granroth wrote:

>Stephan Kulow wrote:
>> kcmshell uses KDialogBase and if you look at a kcmshell (right click
>> on kicker's clock and choose date format for example) you'll see
>> that all buttons have the size of "Use Defaults". This sucks in
>> Germany at last where the i18n() is "Voreinstellungen benutzen".
>
>Rather then mess with the code, why not just be more creative with the
>German translation?  Think of it this way: if "Voreinstellungen
>benutzen" was the English way of saying "Use Defaults", then we
>wouldn't have made the buttons bigger -- we would have figured out
>another (shorter) way of saying the same thing!
>
>Surely there must be a German way of getting this idea across without
>using such long words..

Well, as the Greek coordinator tells me their translation for "Use
Defaults" is "Xrisimopoiisi Prokathorismenwn". Please face it: the
average word length of many languages is much bigger than the English
one. And there is no way to get 50 languages to crop their translations
until they fit in too small a space.

Regards,

Thomas

---