List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Many Outstanding Bugs
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-01-16 16:17:32

Stefan Westerfeld wrote:

>    Hi!
>
> On Mon, Jan 15, 2001 at 11:31:08PM +0100, Martijn Klingens wrote:
> > I'm not quite sure if this is the right place to send this, but as it
> > concerns the kdebase package in this case I think I'm right here. At least
> > bugs.kde.org didn't seem the right place to me this time - that would just
> > add _ANOTHER_ entry. If they do not belong here, please tell me and I'll send
> > any similar posts to the appropriate place.
> >
> > There are _LOTS_ of outstanding bugs, many of which are very old, even of KDE
> > 2.0 Beta's. I'm not sure what to do about this, but this is quite a pile of
> > bugs, many of which don't apply anymore.
>
> Well, speaking for myself, currently looking for all arts-related packages,
> I really don't have any idea what to do with most of the bug reports.
>
> Looking through the 'arts' bugs (there are others for artsd and kaiman),
> there are about 25 open items, and I can say that I can reproduce at best
> five of them with my hardware and KDE CVS. The remaining 20 probably fall
> in the following categories:
>
>  * some kind of misconfiguration (kernel/hardware/packaging/kcontrol settings)
>  * bad hardware support in the kernel
>  * already fixed bugs
>  * things that are not supported by aRts (8bit cards, suspend&full duplex,...)
>  * real bugs, as in: things that the code was intended to do, but doesn't do
>
> As I think about it, a reasonable strategy might be to close away everything
> where the bug report doesn't fulfill the following conditions:
>
>  * user has a 16bit (or better) sound card, which works with at least one
>    other app (xmms or something like this)
>  * user has disabled full duplex support and set latency to "don't care"
>  * user or developer can reproduce bug with a KDE version > 2.0 (2.0.1 or
>    2.1beta*)
>
> I expect that for 2.1 there will be quite some new bugs to handle anyway.
>
> Any comments?
It's completly up to you. It's completly utopian that someone may come out of
the dark and fixes someone else's problems because they are on bugs.kde.org.
Either someone has the problem himself and fixes it because of that or you fix
it yourself. If you say you have no idea about the bug, close it.
I repeat: the bug system is for developers, not for users to have said something.
I would understand it as some kind of TODO list for developers. If you don't
agree with points on your TODO list, then it's not your TODO list any longer. But
if it's not your TODO list, you won't do anything on it. So better close the
points you find wrong.

Greetings, Stephan

--
It's my true belief that people having wishes for the bug report tool
and report it to the author haven't got the idea behind open source.