List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KDialog & kcmshell
From:       Matthias Kiefer <matthias.kiefer () gmx ! net>
Date:       2001-01-16 10:00:29

> On Tue, 16 Jan 2001, Matthias Elter wrote:
> > On Tuesday 16 January 2001 10:06, Espen Sand wrote:
> > > Please, no different sized buttons as the default mode. In most
> cases
> > > uni size buttons looks better. Anyway:
> > (...)
> >
> > Buttons using their preferred size is a UI design standard. I don't
> think we
> > should break it for dialogs just because it looks better in some
> cases.
>
> I am not so sure about that. I do not like the narrow "OK" etc  buttons.
> They
> are simply harder to hit etc (ok, this discussion belongs in another
> list). Is
> it a problem to add the code I mentioned? (The b/c issues always confuse
> me :)
You are only speaking about, that it looks better. What about the original
problem, that buttons with same size make dialogs in several languages
unusable on small displays, because the translations are longer than
the original text?

If the default behaviour is having same sized buttons, translators will
have
much more work, because they have to find problematic dialogs and convince
the authors, that they need different sized buttons for their language.

And this will result in a totally inconsistent look of dialogs in KDE.

kind regards,
   Matthias