List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: libtool braindead on freebsd
From:       Michael Matz <matz () ifh ! de>
Date:       2001-01-14 22:02:05

Hi,

On Sun, 14 Jan 2001, Bradley T.Hughes wrote:

> I believe it started now because FreeBSD just changed behaviour.  Since we
> use a different libc for threaded/nonthreaded, we have to use libgcc or
> libgcc_r, respectively.

And they are selected by the -pthread flag?

> FreeBSD recently started using a PICed libgcc, so the change was that

Wow, more modern than linux distributions ;-)

> > What I just wonder, is, that the actual link-command is "g++ -nostdlib",
> > which should prevent g++ from adding any libraries itself (like -lc or
> > -lc_r). Does someone has a FreeBSD system (with KDE CVS) remotely
> > available? I currently don't have a free partition but want to test g++'s
> > behaviour.
>
> I'm unfortunately firewalled, and don't have access to another freebsd either
> :/  If you have some specific tests you want to run, I'll be more than happy
> to run them for you (thus slowing the debugging process... ick).

OK, a begin would be to send the output of
% echo "int i; //eat this" > tmp.cpp
% g++ -c -fPIC -DPIC $CFLAGS tmp.cpp
% g++ -v -Q -shared -fPIC -DPIC $CFLAGS  tmp.o

The two g++ commands run twice, once with CFLAGS being "", and another
time "-pthread".

Ahh, and (this will give an error, but I'm only interested in the link
command):
% g++ -v -Q -shared -fPIC -DPIC -pthread tmp.o
% g++ -v -Q -shared -fPIC -DPIC -pthread tmp.o -lc

And finally:
% g++ -dumpspecs

Ciao,
Michael.