List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: PR Department
From:       Charles Samuels <charles () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-01-05 3:41:30

On Thursday 04 January 2001 07:06 pm, Cristian Tibirna wrote:
> 1) This has nothing to do with kde-core-devel. While the kde-licensing was
> deleted, I believe the kde-advocacy is still on (or should be :-)
Nobody ever knows which lists are alive :)

> 2) (Regarding film and gnome) so what? I believe most of KDE developers
> want to be KDE developers. People wanting to play in movies have already
> pursued whatever needed to become actors, I strongly believe.
>
> 3) I'd much more prefer things like KDE's eduware, KDE's high level
> graphics, KWord, KDE's multimedia, KDE's groupware, become more concrete
> (or less vapour, as you like) than having Matthias Ettrich and Linus
> Torvalds playing in a soap opera on Broadway.
Well, sure, but you mis-interpret my email.  I say that it suggests that so
many people under-estimate KDE, and this only draws more developers in the
general direction of something that's not KDE, thereby reducing the speed of
KDE's high level graphics and KWord.

Then, I would like to see Linus and Matthias in a movie, but that's another
story...

> 4) The data of that statistics company (that you appearantly cite) was
> saying 70% of linux developers questioned by them were saying they use KDE.
> The question didn't state or imply that KDE was their exclusive choice.
It's no less than 60%, even though most people would disagree, that's the
problem.

> 5) KDE *is* in big need for good PR, true. But this only becomes a
> *worrying* issue only if we intend to sell it, or it's filebrowser, or it's
> PIM suite. I remember well that this is not the case. Let's enjoy KDE
> development because of what it has best: "creating KDE is a matter of
> pleasure, not a struggle".
Agreed. But why not let more people enjoy it with us? :)

That said, if people *think* we have more users, we'll have more developers,
and more help, and more software.

-Charles