List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Fwd: Donald Knuth on `email' vs. `e-mail' [Please forward to core-devel]
From:       "Thomas Diehl" <thd () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-01-04 7:44:13

>Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 20:31:43 -0500
>From: ishamid@netscape.net (Idris Samawi Hamid)
>To: Kurt Granroth <granroth@suse.com>, Alex Zepeda <jazepeda@pacbell.net>,
>        Richard Moore <rich@ipso-facto.freeserve.co.uk>,
>        "Thomas Diehl" <thd@kde.org>
>Subject: Donald Knuth on `email' vs. `e-mail' [Please forward to core-devel]

Dear folks,
Our digital typography guru D. Knuth has spoken authoritatively on this
issue. See http://Sunburn.Stanford.EDU/~knuth/email.html.
Excerpts below.

Let's get this right guys. As a research professor and scholar, I strongly
agree with Knuth, and so should KDE:-)

Best wishes
Samawi
===============================
Knuth says:

A note on email versus e-mail

Newly coined nonce words are often spelled with a hyphen, but the hyphen
disappears when the words
become widely used. For example, people used to write ``non-zero'' and
``soft-ware'' instead of
``nonzero'' and ``software''; the same trend has occurred for hundreds of
other words. Thus it's high time
for everybody to stop using the archaic spelling ``e-mail''. Think of how
many keystrokes you will save in
your lifetime if you stop now! The form ``email'' has been well established
in England for several years, so I
am amazed to see Americans being overly conservative in this regard. (Of
course, ``email'' has been a
familiar word in France much longer than in England --- but for an entirely
different reason.)
Get your own FREE, personal Netscape Webmail account today at
http://webmail.netscape.com/

---
KDE translation: http://i18n.kde.org/
Deutsche KDE-Uebersetzung: http://i18n.kde.org/teams/de/