List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Speed issues on app load
From:       Michael Brade <Michael.Brade () informatik ! uni-muenchen ! de>
Date:       2001-01-03 21:56:00

On Tuesday 02 January 2001 04:04, Keith Packard wrote:
> > I'll have it fixed in a while.  Xft wants to find out what fonts are
> > available and instead of using a (probably broken) font "directory" file,
> > it simply opens each font.  This can be somewhat slow with a lot of fonts
> >
> > My plan was to build a caching mechanism when people complained.  I
> > didn't expect complaints so soon; most people have very few TrueType
> > fonts.
>
> That took longer than I'd expected; the key was collecting a CD full of
> 4000 really ugly fonts to play with.
>
> Font properties are now cached per directory, with a per-user backup in
> case the target directories are unwritable.  App startup, even with all
> 4000 of the ugliest fonts imaginable, is less than 1/2 second.  Without
> caching, it was somewhat slower (about 20 seconds).
:-) And for me it even doesn't work at all... While compiling I get this:

Building Release 6.4 of the X Window System.

I hope you checked the configuration parameters in ./config/cf
to see if you need to pass BOOTSTRAPCFLAGS.

Mit Jan  3 22:31:12 CET 2001

cd ./config/imake && make  -f Makefile.ini BOOTSTRAPCFLAGS="" CC="cc" clean
make[1]: Entering directory `/mnt/Downloads/XFree86/xc/config/imake'

[....]

rm -f *.CKP *.ln *.BAK *.bak *.o core errs ,* *~ *.a .emacs_* tags TAGS
make.log MakeOut  "#"*
make[3]: Leaving directory `/mnt/Downloads/XFree86/xc/programs/glxinfo'
cleaning in programs/xftcache...
make: Entering an unknown directory
make: *** xftcache: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden.  Stop.
make: Leaving an unknown directory
make[2]: *** [clean] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/mnt/Downloads/XFree86/xc/programs'
make[1]: *** [clean] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/mnt/Downloads/XFree86/xc'
make: *** [World] Error 2

I'm wondering how this could have worked for all the others.... ;-)

Ciao,
  Michael

--

       Some operating systems are called `user friendly',
             Linux however is `expert friendly'.