[ Charset ISO-8859-1 unsupported, converting... ] > On Friday 29 December 2000 16:27, Thomas wrote: > > When downloading lots of files I seem to be unable to start more then 5 > > download instances. When I click on a 6th I see a spinning gear until > > another stops and then it immidiately pops-up. > > > > Is there a hard-coded maximum ?? > > Yes and this is a design problem. The kio scheduler is able to schedule > slaves to jobs. This works nice, e.g. you can create 50 jobs and then the > scheduler will allocate 5 slaves that will handle these jobs. > > The problem starts when you have 5 long-lasting downloads going. The > scheduler will not create more slaves but waits for one of the slaves that > are busy to finish first. > > I can fix that problem by lifting the limit of 5, essentially putting the > scheduler out of business, but that creates problems when you e.g. > recursively copy a directory-tree, because then you suddenly get 200 slaves > or so. > > So if anyone has an idea how to solve this I'm interested to hear it. In this case fighting the symptom will be enough, I believe. You say that adding jobs is no problem, thus when I click on a link (a http://bla.zip) it should be added to te jobs pool. I suspect that the reason I don't see it added to my list of downloads is because konqueror first does a HEAD/stat on the url. If this HEAD/stat jobs is done then the download will be qued. So what about this; you create a pool of connections (5 seems right) and keep room for some extra HEAD/stat connections (2 perhaps), this will allow queing the way I like ;) A feature for future implementation would be to add 'start/pause/unpause' actions to the download dialog.. Did I miss something? -- Thomas Zander zander@earthling.net The only thing worse than failure is the fear of trying something new