List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: kio multithreading
From:       Lotzi Boloni <boloni () cplane ! com>
Date:       2000-12-30 2:30:23

> The problem starts when you have 5 long-lasting downloads going. The
> scheduler will not create more slaves but waits for one of the slaves that
> are busy to finish first.
>
> I can fix that problem by lifting the limit of 5, essentially putting the
> scheduler out of business, but that creates problems when you e.g.
> recursively copy a directory-tree, because then you suddenly get 200 slaves
> or so.
>
> So if anyone has an idea how to solve this I'm interested to hear it.

  I am sure that the only solution is to distinguish between the different
types of ioslaves, and group them. You can then allow 5 http ioslaves,
5 local ones, and an unlimited number of ftp slaves, so you will have
different pools.

  I don't understand completely what the scheduler is supposed to do for
http, I guess to limit the number of connections for a webpage download.
I think that those downloads which are user initiated (i.e. put up the
progress dialog) should go into the unlimited pool.

          Lotzi