List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: kio multithreading
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-12-30 2:15:29

On Friday 29 December 2000 16:27, Thomas wrote:
> When downloading lots of files I seem to be unable to start more then 5
> download instances. When I click on a 6th I see a spinning gear until
> another stops and then it immidiately pops-up.
>
> Is there a hard-coded maximum ??

Yes and this is a design problem. The kio scheduler is able to schedule
slaves to jobs. This works nice, e.g. you can create 50 jobs and then the
scheduler will allocate 5 slaves that will handle these jobs.

The problem starts when you have 5 long-lasting downloads going. The
scheduler will not create more slaves but waits for one of the slaves that
are busy to finish first.

I can fix that problem by lifting the limit of 5, essentially putting the
scheduler out of business, but that creates problems when you e.g.
recursively copy a directory-tree, because then you suddenly get 200 slaves
or so.

So if anyone has an idea how to solve this I'm interested to hear it.

Cheers,
Waldo
--
bastian@kde.org | SuSE Labs KDE Developer | bastian@suse.com