List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Bringing IPv6 to KDE
From:       Thiago Macieira <thiagom () mail ! com>
Date:       2000-12-24 15:42:13

Alex Zepeda wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 14, 2000 at 12:20:38AM -0200, Thiago Macieira wrote:
>
> > And the process actually boils to these few steps:
> > 1) write the key, base classes into libkdecore and make sure they're
> > binary compatible
> > 2) modify KURL to accept the raw IPv6 addresses in URL (RFC 2732)
> > 3) modify FTP ioslave to use the IPv6 extensions (RFC 2428)
> > 4) modify any other protocols that require use of IP address
> > 5) hunt down improper uses of sockets and things we broke
>
> Well if you're going to modify the ioslaves, IMO you should start with
> TCPSlaveBase, and convert the FTP slave to use this as well.  This way,
> you've got one centralized bit of code.

In my first attempt at this, TCPSlaveBase required modification. That
is because it DID NOT use KSocket to create its connections, nor did
FTP or HTTP slaves. Those are the cases I dubbed, before, as instances
in which KSocket did not provide the needed functionality. I'm writing
KExtendedSocket as extensible as possible so that it can be used.

As for making FTP ioslave use TCPSlaveBase, well, that would require a
bit more of studying than I had planned. Maybe someone would like to
try this one, since I'm not familiar with that class?

I should have worked on it this week. But it seems Linux kernels
2.4.0-test9 and above don't like file systems. My ReiserFS system got
corrupted (yes, it's journalled) and reiserfsck made it worse. So
while I sort this out, things are not moving.

As always, if you'd like to take a look at what I've already done and
the patch for KDE 1.92, they're here:
http://loki.nw.com.br/development/
(files ksockaddr.h, ksockaddr.cpp, kextsock.h, kextsock.cpp)

--
  Thiago Macieira - UFOT Registry number: 1001
 thiagom@mail.com talha@geocities.com

226/375. It's obvious there are no potential mates for me aboard this
vessel. -- Seven of Nine, "Someone to Watch Over Me"