List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Speed issues on app load
From:       Keith Packard <keithp () keithp ! com>
Date:       2000-12-21 16:51:08

> > and see if that helps.  If so, I can fix the problem.
>
> Yes. No truetype fonts used and none opened, according to strace.

I'll have it fixed in a while.  Xft wants to find out what fonts are
available and instead of using a (probably broken) font "directory" file,
it simply opens each font.  This can be somewhat slow with a lot of fonts

My plan was to build a caching mechanism when people complained.  I didn't
expect complaints so soon; most people have very few TrueType fonts.

> BTW, I forgot to say the Render extension is fantastic and I'd pay
> you good money to work on it if I had any :)

Good thing SuSE already does; I'd have 40 hours less each week to work on
it otherwise.

keithp@keithp.com	 XFree86 Core Team		SuSE, Inc.