List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Speed issues on app load
From:       Dirk Mueller <mueller () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-12-20 21:43:22

On Mit, 20 Dez 2000, rik@kde.org wrote:

> According to strace -r, a lot of time is spent in things like mmap
> and mprotect stuff, which I think is shared libraries being mmap-ed,
> but I don't think this is the only problem. It seems every single
> font on my system (1662 total) is opened, so there's something up
> with the X font loading there. I've reduced that by temporarily
> disabling nearly all of my fonts.

Huh???? Do you use the libXft by accident ?

> Anyone care to guess how we can ask the system to be nice and load
> apps faster ?

Upgrade to kernel 2.2.18, the 2.2.17er had _serious_ bugs in the LRU
caching.

Besides that, compiling Qt without XIM support helps a lot as well. I don't
why that stuff is so fscking slow but it is.

Konsole is still a special evil case as it does a huge amount of useless and
timeconsuming stuff during startup.

> Thoughts and suggestions welcomed.

Well, I'm still seeking for the performance holes, its not that easy to
find. The XML Gui / KAction stuff is definitely very slow, I hope that we
can improve in that part a bit. David and Simon did a lot of investigation
there already and I intend to look into it as well, next year ;)

Dirk