#if Waldo Bastian > knotify did a system("aplay somefile") and got stuck on that for some reason. > As a result knotify didn't handle incoming DCOP request any more. > This caused the DCOP server to lock up on a write() call as part of a > ICESendMessage (probably after it's buffer filled up with other requests). > Result: a total lockup of the desktop. I would guess that knotify waits for aplay to return. If aplay can't grab the audio device, I think it blocks. So knotify could just start aplay and not wait for it to finish, if that's how it works. Rik