List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: roaming kde config?
From:       Thomas <zander () xs4all ! nl>
Date:       2000-12-19 13:17:20

> Alex Zepeda wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Dec 18, 2000 at 10:32:44PM -0500, Cristian Tibirna wrote:
> >
> > > did anybody think of roaming kde config? Using LDAP or some other kind of
> > > server...
> >
> > It should be pretty simple to do... simply migrate kstddirs to KURLs and
> > have KConfig and the like use KIO instead of QFile/read/write.
> >
> Oh gosh - that's the next level. We started with hardcoding paths, then
> we used getenv("KDEDIR"), then we used KApplication::kdedir(), then
> KApplication::kde_configdir(), now kstddirs and now we're even network
> transparent? That would be overcool - but it would slow down KDE as well
> I'm afraid

Maybe a stupid comment, but what about a system that downloads your config.
Most important thing I see is that I can start working in my own personal
environment when I go to another computer. Things like storing my bookmarks
or which toolbars I had enabled are a lot less important to me. I would
choose for a system that would download _all_ of my settings and would allow
me the possibility to upload that when I am finished working. But the last step
is not really important to me either.

Features like uploading whenever I contact the internet or things like that
would be nice.