List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: RFC: Adding MD5-C++ implemetation to kdelibs
From:       Roberto Alsina <ralsina () conectiva ! com ! ar>
Date:       2000-12-12 13:03:23

On Mon, 11 Dec 2000, Alex Zepeda wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 11, 2000 at 03:05:58AM -0500, Dawit Alemayehu wrote:
>
> > Hmmm... correct me if I am wrong here, I have not looked at RFC 2831 so I am short
> > on its specific implementation details, but doesn't any/all implementation of Digest
> > Authentication require the use of message digests ?
>
> Yes.
>
> > I am speaking purely of course
> > from the prespective of HTTP here so I may be ignorant of the afformentioned RFC.
> > If that is the case, then wouldn't we be creating circular dependency here if we say
> > integrate MD5 and base64 code into kio and create a separate library for Digest
> > Authentication ?  I have a feeling I am missing something.  I am going to look at RFC
> > 2831 right away...
>
> No, not really, just an added dependency.  I'm thinking base64+md5 go into
> kio, and the digest auth code into another library *or* all three go into
> kio.  Since there are valid uses for base64 or md5 code outside of the
> digest auth stuff.

Just an idea: since both implementations are tiny, one way to avoid the
dependency tangling would be to make them STATIC libraries?

 `9_ 9  )   `-. (    ).`-._.`)  ralsina@conectiva.com.ar
 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   Director técnico
  _..`-'_..-_/ /-'_.'           Conectiva SA
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Buenos Aires - Argentina
                                KDE Developer (MFCH)
"Those who serve the revolution plough the sea" Bolivar