List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: This is a useful tip? (fwd)
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-12-12 12:11:46

aleXXX wrote:

> On Tuesday 12 December 2000 09:25, you wrote:
> >aleXXX wrote:
>
> >> Maybe related, how about adding a "Hint bar" to KMainWindow, which gives
> >> hints about the application ?
> >> mc has such a line and to me it's quite useful, I don't have to read docs
> >> and get information about "hidden" features.
> >
> >Tss - you're joking right? This mc thing is wasting screen space and sucks.
> >If you want docu - open it, it's around the corner, one key strike away.
> >
> >Greetings, Stephan
>
> Well, but I _have_ to open the docs.
> Most users will think that they know how to use e.g. konqy and see no need
> for reading the docs.
> How can they find about shortcuts like e.g. ALT+O, or most users probably
> won't know that they could enter nfs://somehost/blah and so on.
Reading handbooks? If they want to learn by doing, let them. If they want to
be told, they should read. ktip is thing inbetween, but don't bother the user
with such stupidities in each and every app.

Greetings, Stephan

--
Programmers, heed this: If someone starts asking you about
agricultural genomes, it's likely time to get a handler.