List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    smb slave
From:       alexandrm <yoamwmvs () umail ! corel ! com>
Date:       2000-12-08 17:44:33

Hello,
I would like to clarify some issues about corel_smb ioslave.

First of all, this ioslave is indeed reusing some of the Corel Linux
code.

However, since it uses only small fraction of the functionality of
netserv/libmwn, there's no requirement to run anything as root. (True,
in
Corel Linux netserv runs as root because it needs to do nfs mounts. But
here
is completely different story).

Somebody in this mailing list complained about certain files being in
DOS
mode. We searched through our sources but were unable to identify what
files
those were. If possible, let me know.

Now regarding the coding style. People who complained about it having
certain portion of "Windoze" code are wrong. There's abslutely no
Windows
code here and the fact that we have things like LPCSTR all over the
place
doesn't mean it's Windows. It is just that we feel lazy to always type
"const char *" everywhere.

One of the serious complaints was that some people somehow had an
impression
that we improperly use char instead of QChar and char[] instead of
QString.
True, we are using char and char[] in many places but only in situations

when there's no strings displayable to users. (For instance, very often
char
is used to read from the various config (text) files, pass filenames
back
and forth, create internal messages for other components etc).
There's no need to replace LPCSTR with QString because QStrings are
already
in the places where they are needed.

The accusation of not using i18n is simply not true. All of the code is
properly internationalized (after all, Corel Linux ships in many
languages
these days). We have internal helper function LoadString which in turn
uses
i18n.

Again, there's a complaint regarding possible buffer overruns. We
identified
a few places in netserv which have this problem and are fixing it. We
did
not find any possible buffer overruns in libmwn. Please let us know if
you
see something suspicious.

Our coding style is only slightly different from the one used in KDE
(for
instance, tab size is set to 2 everywhere), but we insist that this code
is
very solid. Of course, some minor things are always possible and we
welcome
your feedback on this.

Thanks, Alexandr

--
The address in the headers is not the poster's real email address.  Do not send
private mail to the poster using your mailer's "reply" feature.  CC's of mail