List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    mail settings proposal..
From:       Alex Zepeda <jazepeda () pacbell ! net>
Date:       2000-12-05 9:27:49

Without knowing too much how KMail stores its settings (RTSL.. I know.. I
KNOW)... I was just thinking about this, since I'm trying to hack the smtp
ioslave to support tls (since well.. the general wrap a protocol
completely with SSL on a different port is SO obsolete, even exchange
doesn't really do this 100%).  Anyways..

kglobalmailsettingsrc

Would have a group defaults that stores some basic information, like:
useTLS ("Attempt to use secure transport layer for outgoing mail"
defaultProfile ("The default mail profile to use")

And each profile would be stored in its own group "PROFILE_profile name"
to avoide possible name clashes.  Eeach of these would contain various
keys such as myaddress, myname, smtpserver, smtpport, incomingserver,
incomingprotocol, incomingport, usetls (to override the default setting),
etc.

And of course there's the obligitory class to get at this information as
zogje suggested (okay so KConfig doesn't simplify this *that* much that
such a thing would be useless).  I figure I'll stick my progress in the
smtp ioslave if nobody objects... aside from looking for objectors my only
question is this.. is such a thing appropiate for the HEAD branch?  Or
should it wait?

- alex