List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    kde-mt doc updated with a new example
From:       Rik Hemsley <rik () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-12-01 19:04:57

Judging by the number of hits on my kde_mt doc, it seems there's real
interest. No feedback, but at least some readers :)

So, due to possible popular demand, I've written a real-life, working
example that you can play with. It's a CD player, implemented using
libcdaudio as the support library. libcdaudio claims it works on Linux,
popular BSDs, Solaris and IRIX.

The only real advantage the app has over e.g. kscd is that it doesn't
block the UI when accessing the CD. To me, that's vitally important.
To you ? Well, whatever. It's not supposed to be an answer to the
world's need for a better CD player. It's supposed to be an example
app.

Things you might want to do with it:

* Use it as an introduction to using threads with Qt. This is, of
  course, what it's intended for. The example on the kde_mt page
  is more advanced because it has some data flow, but still this
  introduces mutexes in class MTQueue.

* Fix the bugs and send me patches. I don't think there are bugs
  related to the thread support, but there are definitely some
  related to using libcdaudio. There appear to be bugs in libcdaudio,
  so I'm not accepting complete responsibility :) It's difficult to
  find out when the user ejected the CD, for example.
  My plan was to write a threads example, not a CD player example,
  and the code only took a few hours, so don't complain too much ;)

* Hook up to the CDDB support that libcdaudio provides.

* Write a decent UI. Noatun and kaiman have k-jofol skin support,
  which could be 'appropriated' ;)

* Criticise the design. I haven't been writing threaded code for
  long. I'm open to constructive criticism. In fact, I'd like some,
  because I'd like to be sure I'm not writing rubbish examples.

Find links to libcdaudio and the code at the bottom of this
page: http://www.geoid.clara.net/rik/kde_mt.html

Cheers,
Rik