List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: WM spec announcement
From:       Matthias Ettrich <ettrich () trolltech ! com>
Date:       2000-11-30 21:58:07

Thursday 30 November 2000 18:36 wrote Havoc Pennington:
> Hi,
>
> I'm writing on behalf of the GNOME Foundation board of directors. We
> would like to congratulate you all on your recent KDE 2.0 release and
> the formation of the KDE League. We're happy to see that KDE is
> producing a high quality desktop and that you've garnered support from
> many corporate sponsors who will help advocate the use of KDE and,
> more generally, free software.
>
> We'd like to get GNOME and KDE on better terms, and really make an
> effort to work together. We had an idea for a symbolic start to that -
> the window manager hint specification is just being finalized for
> release. This is the first really big standard developed cooperatively
> by a group including hackers from both GNOME and KDE. We thought it
> would be nice to make a joint announcement that the WM spec is
> complete, signed by both the GNOME Foundation and the KDE team.
> We could post the announcement on www.freedesktop.org.
>
> What do you think? If you're in favor of it, I'd like to announce the
> completed spec ASAP. Let me know who to talk to about the text of the
> announcement.
>
> Havoc

That's probably me, Cristan Tibirna (tibirna@kde.org) and Bradley Hughes
(bhughes@trolltech.com)

Looking forward to seeing that announcment. It was quite some work to get the
specs out, and although many people didn't believe we are going to make it,
we actually suceeded :-)

Quite an achievement for the free software world, I believe.

Matthias