List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: kdoc/doxygen
From:       Peter Putzer <pputzer () edu ! uni-klu ! ac ! at>
Date:       2000-11-26 13:30:22

On Sun, 26 Nov 2000, Sirtaj Singh Kang wrote:

> On Sun, 26 Nov 2000, Peter Putzer wrote:
>

> > Does kdoc work correctly again? 2.0a42 f*cked up on @param tags, resulting
> > in the generated documentation being practically worthless...
>
> Peter I'm sure you've worked out that I'm the author of kdoc, so feel free
> to pass bug reports on to me.
>
> I've committed a44 today and this should generate your param list
> properly.  I'm sure you can deal with bugs appearing in software that is
> under heavy development.

Sorry for the strong language, I reckon that was uncalled for. But we had
a long discussion about a possible switch to doxygen, and I promised to
produce a "demo" for everyone to evaluate. I did do so, but since I got NO
response whatsoever, I've stopped further developing that idea.

Basically, I'm angry with those people who voted FOR my proposal and then
not bothering to look at my preliminary doxygen-rules files/the generated
documenation :(

As for kdoc's stability and all, around 2.0 it didn't even RUN, though
that got fixed a week or so later. Unfortunately 2.0a42 didn't build
parameter lists, which kinda defeats the point of a doc-tool.

So is there a "stable" version of kdoc that should be used for generating
the documenation? We've always prided ourselves in the superiority of
Qt/KDE's documentation (when compared to GTK+'s), but the downloadable
pre-generated docs at developer.kde.org are from some time before the
release of 2.0, kdoc only partially works, ...

*sorry for that long rant, but I think something's definitely amiss here*

Being told "I'm sure you can deal with bugs appearing in software that is
under heavy development" only marginally helps here, especially when the
whole reason for using Qt originally was that we didn't want to build all
the tools from the ore ourselves (metaphorically speaking), yet exactly
this is happening now with our source-code doc-tool.

bye,
Peter

PS: Taj, I appreciate the work you and others have put into kdoc, but it's
current state of flux severely hinders development IMHO.