List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: 2 date formats in KLocale
From:       Hans Petter Bieker <bieker () stud ! ntnu ! no>
Date:       2000-11-25 13:52:11

On Thu, 23 Nov 2000, Andre Charbonneau wrote:

> A way of going around the problem would be to set up the configure scripts
> of KDE to detect if it is compiling on a system with adequate l10n support.
> If it is, then the original KDE control panel could be replaced by one that
> works at both the system level and KDE's level (like the one I'm currently
> implementing).  If it is not compiling on a system with adequate
> system-level l10n support then KDE's original regional settings control
> panel would be compiled and installed.  The same approach could be used
> when compiling the KLocale class.  Compile-time switches could be added to
> the code to check if a certain l10n function is available at the system
> level.  If it is, it will be used by KLocale internally.  On the other
> hand, if the function is not supported, then KLocale implements it.

How should KLocale guess which locale to use? They might have different
names at the system level and and the KDE level.

And do you really want KDE to behave differently depending on which OS
it's running on?

And really... why is this really a problem? Which program uses the
l10n support in GLibc anyway?

Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Engineering Cybernetics
          bieker@stud.ntnu.no / bieker@kde.org / +47 97651633
                Dagaliveien 25 A  |  Sundlandskrenten 20
                N-0776 Oslo       |  N-7032 Trondheim
  Siste nytt fra industrien finner du på: WWW.Industri-Informasjon.NO