List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Regional Settings Control Panel
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-11-22 15:05:52

Andre Charbonneau wrote:

> Stephan Kulow wrote:
>
> > Andre Charbonneau wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > > I'm currently working on a regional settings control panel for Linux.
> > > The main goal of my project was to have a regional settings control
> > > panel that
> > > works at the system level and also at the desktop level transparantly.
> > > My control panel is very similar (visually) to the one found in KDE 2.0
> > > but has the following differences:
> > >
> > > - it works with system-level POSIX locale definition files (it also sets
> > > KDE's localization settings)
> > >
> > > - date and time format are expressed in a more "human readable" format
> > > (instead of %n type descriptors)
> > >
> > > - has keyboard-layout selection features
> > >
> > > - desktop language (translation language - i18n) and the locale (l10n)
> > > are 2 separate settings
> > >
> > > The main (most important) difference is that the regional settings are
> > > applied at both the system level and the desktop level.  That way, other
> > > (properly localized) non-KDE application will reflect the changes made
> > > by my regional settings control panel.
> > >
> > > I was wondering if it would be a good idea to put my code into KDE's cvs
> > > tree?
> > > I am aware that the code of my regional settings control panel is
> > > changing often, since the l10n features in glibc are still in
> > > development and will not be fully implemented until glibc 2.2. This may
> > > make it difficult to follow KDE's feature/code freezes.
> > > If it is feasible to put my code under KDE's cvs tree, should it be in a
> > > separate directory on its own?
> > >
> > > Any feedback on this topic would be greatly appreciated.
> > >
> > How is this supposed to work? You say "system level", do you imply you
> > want
> > to save files that all users affect? That sounds wrong in a multi user
> > environment.
>
> Thanks for the feedback...
>
> What I mean by "system level" are the POSIX locale definition files,
> usually in /usr/share/i18n/locales.  These are compiled into binary format
> in /usr/share/locale.  My control panel is able to read and write these
> POSIX locale definition files.  In a multi-user environment, the trick is
> to save the modified source file under the user's home directory and then
> set the user's environment variables (LOCPATH and LC_*) to point to this
> new locale.  This way, each user can have its own customized locale
> settings.
>
> > How the keyboard layout selection would look like is something that
> > interests
> > me though as we're currently discussing how to add the kikbd keymaps the
> > right
> > way.
>
> For the keyboard stuff, I simply added something similar to the keyboard
> layout control panel directly into the regional settings control panel.
> That way, the user will not have to switch between control panels to change
> [...]
Right. The problem with the keyboard selection is that the current list
is
far from complete. There are about hundered possible keyboard layouts
and
these do not really fit in a combo box or list widget in general. So you
need
some grouping. Can you please think of that when you design the dialog?

Greetings, Stephan

--
Frauen und Maenner passen vielleicht nicht zusammen, aber meine
allerschoensten Schrammen habe ich mir bei diesem Duell geholt.