List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Automatic testing
From:       Stefan Westerfeld <stefan () space ! twc ! de>
Date:       2000-11-20 23:09:23

   Hi!

On Sat, Nov 18, 2000 at 01:02:21PM +0000, David Faure wrote:
> > I've been playing around with automatic testing in the last few days, and
> > a few automatic tests are already in kdelibs/arts/tests.
>
> KURL has a test program, that aborts on error. The only difference is that one
> needs to "make check ; ./kurltest"...

Well, I still think, especially with a large number of tests, that this:

# make check
[...]
TestBuffer          :     8 test methods - PASS: testbuffer
TestInterfaceRepo   :     6 test methods - PASS: testifacerepo
TestAnyRef          :     2 test methods - PASS: testanyref
TestWrapper         :     4 test methods - PASS: testwrapper
==================
All 4 tests passed
==================
#

is more intuitive and scales better to 100 tests than that

# make check ; ./kurltest
... output ...
# ./kfoobartest
... output ...
# ./kzapptest
... output ...
# ./kbaztest
... output ...
#

The first version really encourages running the tests.

But of course, somebody's got to write them, too, so while there is now a
proof-of-concept that it is technically easy to get the second, it ultimately
depends on whether somebody wants to write his tests that way... ;-)

   Cu... Stefan