List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: optimizing CopyJob, unconnected signals ?
From:       Matt Koss <koss () miesto ! sk>
Date:       2000-11-13 17:53:17

On Monday 13 November 2000 12:47 pm, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> David Faure wrote:
> > On Monday 13 November 2000 11:42, aleXXX wrote:
> > > Well, the signals processedFiles() and processedDirs() seem to be used
> > > only internally and could be replaced with direct call to the observer,
> > > can I do it ?
> >
> > Same answer as for copying(). Not used in the current state of things
> > where most apps use the uiserver, but used by DefaultProcess and
> > StatusBarProgress if you connect them directly to a job.
> >
> > The funny thing in all that is that the nice feature of connecting a job
> > to a statusbar directly isn't even used by konqueror :)
> > But it's there for other apps...
>
> The question really is if it's useful at all to have a million statusbar
> changes or if you don't want it to delete/copy/move as soon as possible.
> As Alex pointed out the signal is quite expensive, so I think the timer
> solution makes sense for _every_ massive information to be displayed.
>
> Greetings, Stephan

All this is in the place only for customized progress dialogs. I agree that
status-bar progress widget will not use all of it.
However, that's how it's designed in order to allow people to show progress
of the I/O in the way they want it, e.g. by creating as super-cool-special
progress dialog.

	Cheers

			Matt

--