List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: kdelibs/kdeui/tests
From:       Rik Hemsley <rik () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-11-05 22:36:20

On Sun, 5 Nov 2000 19:56:54 +0100
Dirk Mueller <mueller@kde.org> wrote:

> On Fre, 03 Nov 2000, Rik Hemsley wrote:
>
> > 5 Get QPixmap to keep an 8-bit XImage alongside the other XImage
> >   when BestOptim is set.
>
> Thats the way to go. If it doesn't work right now, then simply FIX IT in the
> right place and don't try to work around it with insane amount of work. Qt
> is GPL and TT is very willing to accept patches.

That's fine if you can read the code in qpixmap_x11.cpp. I can't.

> We need Qt 2.2.2 anyway because of the QFont size problems with high
> resolution displays. Please don't fix Qt bugs in the wrong place again like
> it happened with the fontsize bug. This introduces too many bugs. Now we
> have to iterate over all places that has been changed again and fix them
> with regart to the new, correct code.

I'm sorry, but we needed to have the bug fixed by KDE 2.0. I would have
preferred to fix the code in qfont_x11.cpp, but:

* The techniques used in the code are unclear and undocumented.

* Variables are given names that do not betray their purpose.
  (nc ? mx ? nmx ?) I can figure them out, but I shouldn't have to figure them
  out. I should be able to read them.

> If the patch gets rejected, we can use KPixmap. I don't see the problem why
> this should be that difficult, we inherit from QPixmap and we can access all
> necessary datafields there. KPixmap is recommended for KDE code anyway, and
> now its time to use it.

We can't use KPixmap because we can't change the kdelibs API.

> If only I had a little more time I would have implemented it already. its
> really not that difficult. You just need to extend the QPixmap shared data
> handling in ::detach() (which is virtual). It shouldn't be more than 2-3
> hours of work.
>
> >   Otherwise you cannot turn off the feature when it's not required,
> >   so you waste memory on the X server.
>
> BTW, this is only a short-time hack anyway. its not worth doing ANY design
> changes. As soon as the alphablending support goes into Xserver we HAVE to
> switch to it anyway (because client-side alpha blending is far too poor in
> performance and XPutImage sucks heavily anyway).

Yep. I know that.

> > Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.
>
> a) Fix QPixmap that it works if it doesn't (which I doubt!).

What do you mean ?

Rik